Newcomer Settlement Worker (JOB # 19-052JM)
Resumes and a detailed cover letter will be accepted up to Wednesday October 23, 2019 (4:00pm deadline) to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Mail to: YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin 16 Mary Street West St. Thomas, Ontario N5P 2S3
No telephone inquiries please.
St. Thomas, Ontario (Elgin Centre)
417 Wellington Street
St. Thomas, Ontario N5R 5J5
The Newcomer Settlement Worker will assist newcomers integrate into the St. Thomas-Elgin community. They will support settlement staff and volunteers to assist individuals and families as they move forward on their settlement plans by providing one on one supports on site and in the community. The Newcomer Settlement Worker will also be responsible for organizing group information and employment related sessions. They will connect newcomers with community partners and resources as they resettle and make a new life in Canada.
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Development and Continual Learning
- Post-secondary education in a related area.
- Fluency in English and a second language considered an asset.
- Must possess and demonstrate cultural awareness and some knowledge of current immigration issues.
- Strong office administration, communication, and organizational skills.
- Must possess knowledge of services and supports available in the St. Thomas and Elgin County community.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
- Deliver Needs Assessment, Information and Orientation, and Referral Services based on clients’ needs.
- Referrals to Community – Provide guidance to navigate community resources and services
- Develop and facilitate group sessions for newcomers based on community needs.
- Complete administration duties and reports.
This job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. Fanshawe Career and Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.